Tuesday 12 April 2011

Caymans + Mosaics = Turtles

I'm having a bit of a sad day today. My sister and her husband left London early this morning on a flight for the Cayman Islands. Fabulous holiday destination, except that they haven't gone on holiday. That wouldn't make me sad - just green with envy! No, they have moved there. Packed up all their things, said their goodbyes and gone. While I know that they'll be back to visit soon, I am still really sad because, as well as being my sister, I consider her to be one of my best friends and I think I'm going to find it hard not just picking up the phone to tell her random things. 

Although I am looking forward to my next holiday...

Can't wait for my next holiday...

Having seen photos of their new place, and the view from their house, I am extremely envious and am already looking up flights for the Christmas holidays... I wish we could go this summer but unfortunately it is already booked up.

Not actually their view from their flat but it is something similar...

Anyway, while moping around feeling sad and lonely now that big sis and brother-in-law have gone, I started thinking about the Cayman Islands and all the things I am going to like about it when I finally go and visit (apart from my family that is) and was thinking about how cool it will be to see real sea turtles. And then I had a great idea for my next mosaic project: sea turtles in the sea! 

I have been thinking about doing a sea mosaic as I want to experiment more with lines and textures and the sea is really good for that sort of thing. However, I'd been wondering how to make it a little more interesting as just a big blue/white/green mosaic is probably going to be a wee bit boring. Turtles would be a great focal point. 

After my great brainwave, which I admit is not particularly original and has probably been done many a time, I  sketched out a few designs. I'm not a great artist when it comes to drawing, so please excuse the lack of proportion / rough quality / scribbles, but I could do with some feedback as to which one I should go for... helpful advice would be much appreciated!

This was my first design:

One Turtle

And this is my second; I decided that one turtle may be a little too big and would distract from the sea more than I wanted. However, two turtles may take a LONG time and I will only have 4 weeks to get it done in...

Two Turtles

Which one do you think I should go for? I think I am more inclined to go for the second one, but as I am almost certainly going to do it indirectly (I would like more experience with casting and the indirect method), I suspect I will be bringing it home from the course a lot and trying to do a lot of it at home! 

As it is, I shouldn't really be thinking of my next mosaic project because...


...yup. I STILL haven't finished this one that I have been working on for what seems like forever. I think it is only actually since September and there have definitely been a lot of months when I haven't done anything, but I need to get a wriggle on if I want the mosaic part finished before my course starts. If I'm quiet on here for a while you know what I'm up to....


One last thing for today: if you are interested in being one of my featured artists in my monthly Artist's Feature please could you drop me an e-mail via the Contact Creating Trouble page? Much appreciated! 

2 comments:

shan314 said...

I love how your smalti mosaic is coming along! Sorry to hear about your sis, though. That is sad. At least she's going to a seriously fabulous place to visit, though. Can't wait to see the turtle mosaic!

That reminds me - my friend did a great sea turtle mosaic last year that you might like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98172860@N00/5021934334/ Hard to tell from the photo, but it's actually very big, and the detail of all the sea creatures at the bottom is amazing.

Creating Trouble said...

Thanks Shan! I can't wait to get going on the turtle: your friend's turtle is AMAZING! Which leads me to the question I was going to ask - big pieces of glass or small more traditional squares? I think both could work so am a bit torn!!!

I also found some amazing tiles that would have worked for the mottled turtle back - but they only sold it in packs of about a million for floor tiling - which I don't really need to do! So it's back to the drawing board for me...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...